Starting a garden or do-it-yourself landscaping project? The Dallas County Master Gardener Association, through the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Center, offers free, live telephone advice Monday-Friday and an updated website featuring advice on plant care and what to plant and prune each month. Advice listed for September includes:
- Divide and re-plant spring blooming perennials such as iris, yarrow, daisies, daffodils and daylilies (late September to early October)
- Plant chrysanthemums, asters, petunias, marigolds and other fall color plants
- Sow wildflower seeds and press into soil surface to improve germination
- Avoid pruning spring-flowering trees and shrubs during the fall, as pruning now will reduce spring flowers
- Trim dead or damaged wood from trees and shrubs but avoid drastic pruning
To view the website, go to www.dallascountymastergardeners.org. To ask a gardening question, call the Master Gardeners Help Desk at 214-904-3053, Monday-Friday between 9 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. or send an e-mail to email@example.com. Questions may also be submitted through a form at the website.