The City Council approved $180,000 in grants for area arts organizations at Monday’s City Council meeting, as recommended by the City’s Cultural Arts Commission. The grants, funded by the hotel/motel tax fund, will assist the organizations with operating expenses and regular programming. The total funds awarded this year and total organizations funded are 50 percent less than in 2019 due to pandemic-related revenue shortfalls, but better than expected due to the fund’s good performance in the first three months of 2020.
The Commission reviews grant applications from arts organizations each year for financial assistance. Organizations must meet several criteria in areas such as artistic merit, inclusiveness, financial capability, community service and alignment with the City’s Cultural Arts Master Plan.
Organizations receiving funding for 2020-21 are as follows:
- Arts Incubator of Richardson
- Chamber Music International
- Dallas Chinese Community Center
- Lone Star Wind Orchestra
- Repertory Company Theatre
- Richardson Civic Art Society
- Richardson Community Band
- Richardson Community Chorale
- Richardson Reads One Book
- Richardson Symphony Orchestra
- Richardson Theatre Centre
- Texas Musical Winds Outreach