(Richardson, TX) – The Heights and Huffhines Recreation Centers are scheduled to reopen with modified services and hours beginning Tuesday, May 26. The restart of services follows Gov. Greg Abbott’s multi-phased “Open Texas” plan which allows for recreation centers and other health/recreation amenities to operate following guidelines outlined by the Governor’s Strike Force to Open Texas. Orders issued by Gov. Abbott supersedes all county or city orders.
Access to the facilities will be limited to 25 percent of occupancy based on the square footage of areas being opened for public use. Once 25 percent capacity is reached, new patrons will be allowed into the facilities as users exit. Visitors that hold annual memberships, with single-visit passes available for purchase by Richardson residents (proof of residency can be shown by state-issued photo identification). Non-resident passes will not be available until further notice. The duration for all current membership holders will be extended by 120 days.
Recreation center patrons will also be asked to limit their time to 50 minutes and will be required to wear full gloves and to sanitize equipment prior to use of exercise. All dumbbells will be required to be placed in a sanitizing station for staff to clean prior to re-racking. Other equipment (ex: basketballs, table tennis, pickleball or badminton paddles and balls) will not be available for checkout. The Gym will be used for single file walking and scheduled pickleball and badminton play as well.
Facility hours of operation will be as follows:
- Heights Recreation Center
711 W. Arapaho Road
Mon.-Wed. 6 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Fri. 6 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Sun. 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Huffhines Recreation Center
200 N. Plano Rd.
Mon.-Tue. 6 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Thurs. – Fri. 6 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Sat. 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
* The following areas will be closed: lobby, sauna, showers, lockers, classrooms, and classroom hallways.
** Individuals who fall in the high-risk category for COVID-19, whether it is through age or health reasons, should know that increased outings and exposure to others could increase exposure to COVID-19.
Other protective measures being taken at the facilities:
- All Staff will be monitoring facility and activities during each phase to make sure public is following the CDC and state guidelines
- Staff will monitor fitness area and clean equipment after each member’s use
- Sanitation stations have been placed at each facility for patron use
- Floors have been marked to indicate appropriate social distancing
- Basketball will be allowed in the gym but will be limited to 2 persons per goal maintaining social distancing and using their own equipment
Call 972-744-4300 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on Parks and Recreation programming.
(All updates can be found on the City of Richardson’s COVID-19 news page at www.cor.net/coronavirus.)