The Richardson Public Library reopened its third floor yesterday and will begin allowing limited usage of public computers on the second floor on June 22. These openings are the next phase of a reopening plan that follows the guidelines provided by Gov. Greg Abbott. The Library’s first and second floors reopened May 5 and June 1 respectively.
“With the opening of the third floor we are nearly at a point where our entire building is back up and running, albeit with restrictions on the number of people who can be inside at any time,” said Susan Allison, Director of Library Services. “As we have throughout the reopening process, we are still working to ensure no decision is made until we have taken every precaution to keep employees and patrons safe.”
Building occupancy is limited and is open to Richardson residents only. The third floor is limited to 30 people at one time, with another 25 allowed on the first floor and 15 allowed on the second floor. When five of the public computers on the second floor become available for use on June 22, the number of people allowed on the second floor will increase to 25 to allow one person to use each of the computers and five people to wait in line to use the computers.
The following procedures will remain in place at the Library until further notice:
- Floors 1, 2 and 3 Operating Hours
- Monday-Saturday (10 a.m.-2 p.m.)
- Sunday (2-5:30 p.m.)
- Floor 1 services will be limited to first floor book displays, media (movies/music) and service areas for children and teens.
- Until June 22, Floor 2 services will be limited to browsing the stacks and using personal laptop computers to access the internet. Five public computers will become available for use on June 22.
- All areas of Floor 3 are open, although some furniture has been removed to allow for social distancing.
- Access to the Library is limited to Richardson residents only (patrons must bring proof of residency).
Curbside checkout service will operate according to the following schedule:
- Monday-Thursday. (2:30-6:30 p.m.)
- Friday-Saturday (2:30-5:30 p.m.)
- Sunday (no curbside service)
Please note there is no residency requirement for curbside pickup.
Other Impacts to Library Services
- If the facility is at capacity, patrons will be required to wait outside until space is available
- Sneeze guards have been installed at all staffed desk areas
- Floors have been taped to mark appropriate separation for social distancing
- Hand sanitizer has been placed for public use
- Credit card is currently the only accepted form of payment for late fees
- Checkouts are for three weeks with autorenewal kicking in on items with no holds
- Access to catalog/checkout computers limited to maintain social distancing
- Sanitizing of public areas will be performed nightly
(All updates can be found on the City of Richardson’s COVID-19 news page at www.cor.net/coronavirus.)