No Late Fees Beginning Oct. 1
Starting tomorrow, Oct. 1, the Richardson Public Library will no longer charge late fees, and existing late fees will be removed from Library accounts. The exception to the new policy is late fees associated with InterLibrary loans, as these loans involve items owned by other libraries.
Other highlights of the new policy include:
- Three auto-renewals will be allowed before an item must be returned. When an item is overdue, the library patron’s account will be temporarily blocked from checking out, placing holds or using Library computers. Privileges return when the item is returned.
- As before, if another patron places your item on hold, the item will not be eligible for renewal.
- If you’ve lost or damaged an item, a replacement fee will be assessed and that fee will need to be paid to restore your account.
Note that some accounts may still show debt collection and processing fees, which will remain under the new policy.
Contact: 972-744-4363 or stop by the Circulation Desk
Studio RPL “Open Lab” Oct. 1—Free Creative Space for Photographers, Makers
Saturday, Oct. 1
It’s “open lab” time at the Library’s Studio RPL, a time for all ages to check out this free community resource without a reservation. The studio, located to the right of the basement elevators, provides space and equipment especially for photographers, videographers, makers and other creatives.
- A soundproofed A/V room with green screen and video camera, softbox lights, and a microphone
- Dell creative laptops with MS Office software, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, Adobe Premier, and Arduino
- LittleBits Coding Kits (for use with laptop and the LittleBits Coding program)
- Arduino kits
- MaKey Makey circuit boards
- Sphero SPRK+ robots (for use with iPad and Sphero EDU app)
- LEGO Mindstorms
Studio RPL is available outside the open lab time by appointment Mondays-Thursdays 10 a.m.-7 p.m. and Friday-Saturdays 10 a.m.-5 p.m., using the “book-a- librarian” form found here. Valid Richardson Library Card required.