The five winners of the City’s first-ever Traffic Signal Box Art Contest were recognized at Monday’s City Council meeting. The winners each received $100, a plaque and their artwork has been turned into vinyl wraps that have been installed on traffic signal boxes at five key Richardson intersections. The theme for the inaugural contest, co-sponsored by the Richardson Kiwanis Club, was “wildflowers.”
Winners and the location of their artwork are as follows:
- Kaitlyn Burlison—Apollo Road at Yale Boulevard
- Marina Denton—Belt Line Road at Mimosa Drive
- Hailey Duggan—Telecom Parkway at Renner Road
- Tiffany Managad—Franklyn Jenifer Drive at Waterview Parkway
- Anushka Sridhar—Renner Road at Routh Creek Parkway
The contest has been a unique way to further the City’s commitment to public art and beautify city streetscapes while reaching a broad range of local talent—it was open to individual artists residing in the city or attending a school located within Richardson. It will be evaluated and refined this summer in consideration of possible future replication.