UT Dallas President Richard Benson gave an update to the City Council Monday highlighting the University’s achievements and future plans.
- UT Dallas, celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, is the nation’s second fastest-growing doctoral degree-granting university (total enrollment for fall 2019 was 29,543)
- 8,764 students, faculty and staff live in Richardson
- Two-thirds of the school’s 113,000+ alumni live in the DFW Metroplex
- Since 2007, the campus has doubled its number of buildings to 160 and almost tripled the number of students who live on campus (from 2,500+ to 7,000+)
- 41 Richardson companies have funded mechanical engineering design projects that have won nationwide competitions and have helped the companies solve real-world problems
Benson lauded several successful partnerships with the City including the paved 3.5-mile paved bike trail that loops around campus and arts/technology collaborations at the Eisemann Center.
Future UT Dallas plans include a major landscape project (new tree-lined plaza) and a new arts complex, and working with the City on the Richardson Innovation Quarter.