The 47th annual Richardson Christmas Parade, benefiting Network of Community Ministries, begins at 9 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 7 and includes costumed characters, floats, decorated vehicles, area marching bands, Santa and Mrs. Claus.
This year’s theme is “A Lone Star Christmas” and the Grand Marshal will be 2018 Chamber of Commerce Citizen of the Year and former City Council member Bob Macy. The parade will travel north on Plano Road, beginning at Richardson Square Shopping Center and ending at Apollo Road (see below for traffic impacts). The Parade’s Award Ceremony will be held the same day at 5 p.m. at the City Hall/Civic Center plaza, just prior to the City’s annual Tree Lighting Ceremony and the opening of Santa’s Village.
For more information, visit www.cor.net/parade.
The parade will cause several lane closures/changes the day of the parade. These include:
At 8:15 a.m.
- The northbound lanes of Plano Road between Spring Valley Road and Apollo Road will close. Traffic will be filtered into the southbound lanes of Plano Road.
- There will be no eastbound traffic on Apollo Road between Plano Road and Apollo Junior High School. All westbound traffic on Apollo Road will be detoured north on Plano Road.
- Creekside Drive will remain open at Plano Road to allow entry into homes in the area north of Huffhines Park.
- Both eastbound and westbound Belt Line Road will be closed between Plano Road and Yale Drive. It will reopen at approximately 11:30 a.m.
The following changes will be in place from 6-11:30 a.m. to aid in traffic flow around Huffhines Ball Field:
- Creekside Drive between Mossbrook Drive and Apollo Road will be one-way southbound. Residents will be allowed to park on the northbound side of the street only.
- Mossbrook Drive between Apollo Road and Creekside Drive will be one-way northbound. Residents will be allowed to park on the southbound side of the street only.
- Shadow Bend Drive between Apollo Road and Creekside Drive will be one-way northbound. Residents will be allowed to park on the southbound side of the street only.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Parks and Recreation Department at 972-744-7850 or 972-744-4300. We thank you for your understanding and cooperation and we hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!