Past and present City staff, City Council members and Library supporters were on hand this morning at the Richardson Public Library to celebrate the Library’s 60th birthday with a reception on the first floor. Sixty years ago today, on Nov. 22, 1959, the Richardson Public Library officially became a City department with the opening of a 5,800 square-foot facility at 310 E. Tyler St. (on the site of the current Public Safety Campus). It moved to the current 81,650-square-foot building in 1970.
Library patrons have enjoyed several “throwback” activities throughout the past several months in honor of the milestone birthday, including limbo and hula hoop contests, a retro cookbook food tasting, a sci-fi movie/soda fountain event for teens and a Bob Ross Paint-Along. Attendees to today’s reception enjoyed cake, musical entertainment and proclamations read by Mayor Pro Tem Janet DePuy and staff representing Congressman Colin Allred.